Global Aviation Security Symposium (AVSEC)
AVSEC2021 - Day 3
Day 3 of the ICAO Global Aviation Security Symposium 2021 (AVSEC2021) - "Business NOT as usual."
Commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the attacks of 11 September 2001
1. Opening Remarks by Mr. Juan Carlos Salazar, Secretary General, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
2. Keynote Remarks by Mr. David P. Pekoske, Administrator, Transportation Security Administration, United States.
3. 20 Years after a Paradigm Shift in Aviation: This session will provide an opportunity for senior leaders in the aviation security community to reflect on changes in aviation security during the past 20 years and discuss the importance of further strengthening cooperation. Emphasis will be placed on new technologies and innovative processes and solutions. The moderator for this session is Mr. Sylvain Lefoyer, Deputy Director, Aviation Security and Facilitation, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) with panellists Mr. Henrik Hololei, Director-General, Mobility and Transport, European Commission; Ms. Poppy Khoza, Director of Civil Aviation, Civil Aviation Authority, South Africa; Ms. Wendy Nixon, Director General, Aviation Security, Transport Canada; Mr. Luis Felipe de Oliveira, Director General, Airports Council International (ACI) World; Ms. Tatevik Revazyan, Director General, Civil Aviation Authority of the Republic of Armenia; and Mr. Willie Walsh, Director General, International Air Transport Association (IATA).
4. Interview: “Lessons From The Past.” The moderator for this session is Mr. Sylvain Lefoyer, Deputy Director, Aviation Security and Facilitation, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Interview with: Mr. Eddie Mayenschein, Assistant Administrator, Policy, Plans, and Engagement, Transportation Security Administration, United States [former Management Captain, US Airways]; and Mr. Lew Short, Manager, Stephenville Airport, Canada [former Transport Canada representative in Gander].
5. Commemoration Videos
6. Aviation Security: Before, Now and the Future: A deep dive session discussing the lessons learned from the 9/11 tragedy. The discussion will highlight the evolution of security measures to the current state of play and civil aviation’s existing defences against adversaries. But today’s solutions need to evolve to address the security challenges of tomorrow. The panel will also discuss opportunities to evolve and approach informed risk management that results in the continuity of aviation in an integrated and sustainable way. The moderator for this session is Mr. Matthew Vaughan, Director, Aviation Security & Cyber, International Air Transport Association (IATA) with panellists Ms. Lauren Beyer, Vice President, Security and Facilitation, Airlines for America (A4A); Mr. Pete Hearding, Executive Director, International Policy and Programs Division, Transportation Security Administration, United States; Mr. Wolfgang Koch, Aviation Security Chairman, Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), and SEC Committee Vice-Chair, International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations (IFALPA); Mr. Bernard Lim, Senior Director, International Relations and Security, Ministry of Transport, Singapore; and Ms. Sarah Nacey, Deputy Director - Aviation Security, Aviation Directorate, UK Department for Transport, United Kingdom.
7. Closing Remarks by: Mr. Vladimir Voronkov, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT); Ms. Michèle Coninsx, Assistant Secretary-General and Executive Director, United Nations Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED); and Mr. Salvatore Sciacchitano, President of the Council, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
Up Next in AVSEC2021
Introduction to Security Culture trai...
ICAO Global Aviation Training (GAT) and UK CAA International (CAAi) deliver a 2-day Introduction to Security Culture training course under the ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS Programme. The course helps regulated entities and aviation authorities understand the concept and benefits of an effective security c...
AVSEC2021 911 Remembrance
AVSEC2021 9/11 Commemoration Messages
The AVSEC community gathered together to share their memories and reflections from the day of the 9/11 attacks, and on changes in aviation security during the past 20 years.